Sunday, March 8, 2009

The encore to last week's basketball performance...

This week's newsletter mentioned the 31 points I scored last week was the 3rd most in D4 history. Well after today's game last week's 31 is now the 4th most in D4 history as my 39 points earlier today is the new record for D4. We only had 5 there again...last week Nate was out but this week it was Danielle. We won 71-56. We were down 28-24 at the half. I think I went 13 in the 1st and 26 in the 2nd. 8 3-pointers, 7 of 10 from the line (I missed my first two shots of the day) and 4 2-pointers. I almost think I might have had 1 2-pointer that didn't get recorded. After one of my teammates told me I had the record at 39 I was trying to get to 40. I was actually fouled twice with the ball as time was winding down but the refs would not call it. I then missed a contested shot and was right there for my own rebound but one of my teammates grabbed it and put it back in for the layup with 10 or so seconds remaining. One of the refs said after the game that if he knew I was going for 40 he would have actually called the foul. Of course I was like if it is a foul then call it. Oh well. It was fun. After the guy I was chatting with the league director and some guys from the team we played and they were questioning him on putting me in D4. I said I signed up saying I wanted to play D2 but figured I was placed where I was to make a team of everyone who signed up individually.

Gina and the kids were there. She was recording the game but as it turns out the hard drive on our video camera ended filling up in the 1st half so yet again I missed out on having one of my good games captured on video.

Now a little background on the league from what I understand is that the Christ's Church league has been in existence for 12 or 13 seasons. There are 4 divisions...D1 being the best down to D4. When I completed my application to play, I requested D2 as I knew a few guys who had played and based on playing against them figured that would be the appropriate level for me. Well obviously I was placed in D4 and as previously mentioned none of us knew each other on the team. Also when I went to an open run for individual players who signed up 3 of us were there playing against the D2 champions from last year and who are now undefeated in D1 this season. I've seen a few games where the talent discrepancy isn't as great as I would have thought. The biggest difference is the depth of the talent on each team.

No comments: